Monday, October 5, 2009

Zombies: Resurecting Funny

I'm not one to say comedy is dead. But if I was, I would say it has been reborn. Reborn in the form of the undead, or the living dead, or the severely infected.
Ghostbusters is how I judge funny and have trouble laughing with movies that don't share it's humor. My main problem with comedies about poop jokes is the same problem I have with horror films. Once I'm shocked the joke is no longer funny, the death no longer scary. A lot of people can't watch a movie twice. It makes sense if you like horror movies or poop jokes.
Ghostbusters is a good story with funny people. I don't go into it thinking, What are these idiots going to do this time? To make my long story short I saw Zombieland this weekend and it is brilliant. Bill Murray makes a cameo, is praised for his role in Ghostbusters, and then shot by Jesse Eisenberg. I don't think Murray's death is a symbolic passing of the funny baton, but maybe the powerpack and in this case the shotgun. Murray approves of Eisenberg and if he is good enough for Bill, he's good enough for me.
If there was a glitch in time and the actors of today were the actors of 1984, no one could replace Bill Murray, Harold Ramis, and Dan Aykroyd. But Simon Pegg, Nick Frost, and Jesse Eisenberg would be good substitutes. They all have experience fighting the dead and are all hysterically normal.

But no one can replace Sigourney Weaver.

No comments:

Post a Comment